I remember Christmas being a magical time when I was younger. I really want to make it that way for my girls yet this year (and I know its only the 4th, but still...) I just don't feel very festive. Just getting through the every day is enough work. Oh... we have our Christmas lights up outside and our nativity scene put up, Christmas music playing and of course we've started our Advent calender but it still doesn't feel "merry and bright".
Part of my difficulty is that my darling eldest daughter has a bad case of the "gimmies". She wants and wants and isn't grateful for the things she does get. She threw a terrible fit in Walmart a few days ago because I wouldn't buy her something. I told her I was buying her milk and bread and toilet paper, etc... but she said she had to have a toy. It made me so sad. I really want her to understand the reason for this season... and its not to just get, get, get.
We do Christmas boxes each year to send to children in need. I always do one from each of my children for another child their same age. I have them pick out things they would like to give in the boxes.
I hope next year I will have more ability (not being pregnant & in pain) to be able to do more with the girls. I would like to do more outreach kinds of things, like going to retirement homes and visiting the elderly or maybe the Jesus Center and help with a meal or something. I really want my girls to be grateful for what they have and what they receive, but also want them to want to give to others.
Anyway... tomorrow after Church we'll get a tree and decorate it tomorrow night... then maybe we can drink some Coco and watch the Frosty the Snow Man.
This picture is actually from Easter. We go to Tahoe every Easter with my family.
No comments:
Post a Comment