Monday, February 28, 2011

3 for 3

We have now had three children for three weeks... and it is GOOD!  Haven and Hope are great big sisters!  Haven is such a big help.  She not only helps me with the baby but she helps me with Hope.  I forgot how much time nursing takes and often need Haven to help Hope with things while I am nursing Harmony.  Haven loves to hold her new little sister as does Hope.  They sing to Harmony, kiss her and talk to her a lot.  They love when her eyes are open and they get so excited that she is looking around.




Harmony still sleeps a lot during the day.  I don't have to wake her feed her anymore as she is growing leaps and bounds.  I am sure that some how her measurements were off at the hospital... but on Friday when I took her to her pediatrician for her check up they said she measured 22 1/2 inches long... that would be a three inch growth in three weeks.  I don't know if that is possible!  She is gaining plenty of weight though as she now weighs 9lbs 13 oz... when she left the hospital she was down to 8lbs 3oz so that is a pound and 10oz weight gain in less than three weeks!  Great for a baby who had to be woken up to eat! 




Harmony does have some serious problems with gas though and makes terrible noises, grunts and groans, and wiggles in discomfort quite a bit, especially at night.  She doesn't have a very good latch when nursing and try as I might to fix it she keeps smacking while eating and must be taking in quite a bit of air.  I have seen a lactation consultant once so far and will probably seek out more help in the near future.  We are using Gripe Water and she is passing more gas but still seems to be in quite a bit of discomfort. 


All of that being said, oh my, I am SO in love!  I just don't know how it is possible to love someone so much in such a short amount of time.  I just want to sit and stare at her every second of the day.  I can't kiss her sweet face or touch her velvet soft skin enough.  She is perfect!  All my girls are perfect and precious! As tired and out of it as I feel I am overwhelmingly blessed!





3 comments:

  1. She IS perfect - so precious! I can't believe how big she is!
    Jacob had trouble latching, too - it turns out he was tongue-tied... The doctor fixed that with a little 5-minute procedure at their office. They didn't catch it when he was born.
    Hope you're getting enough rest! Love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rachel, I had the Dr check her tongue... she isn't tongue-tied. I went to see see another lactation consultant today and she says that Harmony needs to take more into her mouth. Have to do this sandwich thing to try to jam more in... it is a lot of work and doesn't seem to help that much and feels very un-natural. I'll try it for a few days and see if it helps but if it doesn't I don't know what else to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the same trouble with Naomi...tried the sandwhich thing and she just inches her lips back to where she's comfortable. I tried re-latching for about two weeks every time she did it but gave up (she'd cry and get mad sometimes causing her to swallow air and in turn, gassy). I still get sore sometimes but I figure that's how she likes it- so be it. Naomi also had a lot of gas, grunting and would cry about it. I had to eat a lot less dairy and the gripe water worked too. It seems like she has grown out of the super gassiness but I can't have eggs now, cause that just gets her going again (cranky and passing LOUD gas). I hope you two get it worked out to be comfortable for the both of you!

    ReplyDelete