Thursday, August 28, 2014

It has begun...






We are homeschooling!!!! 

Our classroom looks a lot like a real class with chalk board, alphabet, calendar and their art on the wall.  They each have a desk with their name.  After our breakfast and devotional time we do the calendar together and the Pledge of Allegiance.  Then we turn a song on and DANCE!  :)  After we pray for our day and get down to it!  

It has been a transition from regular school.  There are days that go well and days that don't.  But to be honest that's what parenting is like too.  Some days my girls are very happy and easy going and some days they are grumpy and whine through it all.  It's all about finding our grove!  It's got to be a kinda love dance between home/fun/learning/respect and creativity.  

Right now we are talking about character development like persevereing or being content.  We talk about being greatfull for what we have and I just bought each girl a journal to put in daily 5 things they are greatfull for.  

As much as I want to teach them to read and write and do math like a wiz I so much more care about their hearts.  I care about their integrity and honesty, their generosity and compassion, their longing for truth and righteousness and their love for God, for each other as sisters, as a whole in our family and then love for others.  Love needs to be a big part of this journey.  

Today I stopped and handed Haven $10 and asked her to give it to a man who honestly looked homeless.  The girls were hungry and wanted to go to Taco Bell for lunch.  I told them that we have food at home and I would gladly give money we would have used to eat out to give it to this man in need and to stay hungry myself a while longer and be able to bless him.  The girls agreed and I heard not a nother peep about how "starving" they were.  

I want to find other ways to bless people with the children's help. 

We are apart of a co-op that meets a couple times a week and I am so excited about what we will be learning!

Things we will be exploring with our Co-Op

September: Local History, Indians and Pioneers
October: Everything Harvest!  
November/December: Art 
January: China 
February: Science Fair projects
March: Ediquette and Manners
April: Enterpreneurs
May: Public Service Jobs

We are also looking into another group that may be doing drama!

I'm exhausted!  As wonderful as parts of this are... there are super stressful hard parts too.  So say a little prayer for us when we come to mind.

My lovelies!  Precious to my heart!!


(One of our field trips to the Discovery Museum in Sacramento.)

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you! Homeschooling is one of the most frustrating, exhausting, rewarding, and awesome things you could ever do!
    I LOOOOOVEEEE your schoolroom! I have so many questions I want to ask about what curriculum you are using, what techniques you are trying..... If you ever have a moment (yeah right!) email me some DETAILS!!
    Because of the disaster area our house is in, we still haven't started. It may still be a month before we officially start.
    .......But that's the beauty of homeschooling! When your kids are completely stressed out because they haven't been living in their own home for 10 weeks, you can say, "Hey, we'll wait to start school." :)
    Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete