Today I had to put down my precious Baby Cat. I have had her for 20 years... that's my entire adult life. I bought her from a pet store in Chico. I moved to Sacramento with her. She was my constant companion.
I actually don't have any friends that I can say I've been friends with for 20 years... not real friends. She has been with me as I've moved to new towns and new states. She has flown in airplanes and been snuck into hotel rooms while on across country trips. She has been the warm purr that I have cried into when I felt I had no one else around to comfort me. She has seen me at my utter worst and my happiest times and she has loved me through them all.
I never thought that I would ever get so emotional over a cat. But the past two days I have sobbed till my eyes are swollen. She has been my constant. And her departure has shaken me.
I remember how she would sit on my sewing machine while I quilted. And how when she was tired she would just walk to our room and go to bed even if I wasn't ready to. I remember how arrival of my daughters weren't the easiest thing for her but that she embraced them and loved them even when they pulled her tail and squeezed her too tight. I remember how she would butt heads with me to say she loved me.
She was there for me to talk to when no one else was. No matter where I went... having her with me made it home. And today I had to say good bye. Goodbye after 20 years.
I love you Baby Cat. You will be greatly missed.

My memories of Kansas City and our apartment and you, Baby was a part of all of that! So sorry for your loss.
ReplyDelete